Staying active is such a necessary thing for your cat’s health. Playing games that are stimulating, help to reduce anxiety, stress levels and can help to eliminate behavioral problems. Because they are natural predators, from time to time they will need to turn on their natural problem solving instincts. The games that can help to do this, will build your cat’s confidence; especially games they are able to walk away from feeling like a winner.
So with the above points in mind, here’s a tip for how to make a cool DIY Cat Toy using a shoe box and toilet paper tubes. It creates a stimulating challenge that will keep your cat busy and stimulated. It’s pretty easy and inexpensive to make, so let’s get started using the instructions below.
What You’ll Need:
• 1 Shoe Box or Tissue Box (Amazon)
• Several Toilet Paper Tubes (Amazon)
• Glue Gun (Amazon)
• Cat Treats (Amazon)
1. Gather enough toilet paper tubes to fit in your shoe box standing up. Depending on the size of your box, it should be around 13 to 15 tubes or more. (Amazon)
2. Glue your tubes together in a shape that will fit perfectly in your shoe box. When you’re done gluing, your tubes should be one piece. (Amazon)
3. Make two holes in the middle/back of the box. Make the holes about 2 1/2″ apart. Then thread your holes with a—6″ to 7″—ribbon or string. Run it from one whole on the outside to the inside. Then run it back out through the other hole (see illustration). The ribbon is used to tie the toy to the leg of a piece of furniture in order to stabilize it while your kitty is playing with it.
Ribbon (Amazon) Twine (Amazon)
4. Now, place the tubes in the box standing up. Then glue the sides of the box to the sides of the tubes with your hot glue gun. Make sure everything is nice and stable so that nothing is shifting around. (Amazon)
5. Once you’ve put your toy together, tie it to the leg of a piece of furniture—a chair, table, etc… Now, place your kitty’s favorite treat in a few select tubes. Game on! Your cat will be able to see and smell the treats, but they have to figure out which tube it’s in. The tubes are just big enough for their paws to fit in and grab a treat, but they’ll most likely need a few tries to get the prize. It’s good fun had by all; them playing and you watching them play.
In closing, this is one of those games where you don’t have to be involved for your cat to enjoy himself. Just put the treats/prize in a random slot and let them go at it. It’s a great solution to boredom or can be a distraction in an otherwise stressful environment. I hope that this tip can help with giving your cat that very much need stimulation. If you have any tips, please don’t hesitate to add them in the comments section. Thanks for reading.